Pre and Post Endovenous Laser Ablation Sclerotherapy Protocol
What Should I Do before My Sclerotherapy Treatment?
- Do not shave your legs or apply cream for one day prior to and the day of your follow-up appointment. No tanning within two weeks of the treatment date. Do not take aspirin or blood thinners 3 days prior to procedure. Do not take Tetracycline or Minocin 10 days before or after sclerotherapy.
- Take 5 pellets of Arnica™, 3 times per day, for 2 days prior to the follow-up/sclerotherapy appointment. Place pellets under the tongue and allow them to dissolve in your mouth. To prevent skin pigmentation at site of sclerotherapy, follow this skin care protocol, starting two weeks before your 6 week follow-up treatment. Apply the following skin products only at the site of the enlarged varicose veins. Apply Pigment bar (pHaze 13) Cleanser once per day at night, before going to bed. Leave on skin for 5-10 minutes before rinsing off. Apply Pigment gel hq free (pHaze 13) once per day at night, before going to bed. Leave on skin overnight. Apply Complex Cu3 Intensive Tissue Repair Crème twice per day, in the morning, and before going to bed. Discontinue this skin care protocol 48 hours before the sclerotherapy treatment.
- Eat a snack one hour prior to your treatment. Bring shorts to wear during the procedure and slacks to wear out of the office .
What Should I Do after My Sclerotherapy Treatment?
- Keep stockings on for 72 hours. Only take off stockings to go to the washroom or showers. Then wear your stockings from morning to night for another 7 days (ideally, take a quick 5 min shower and then put them on before doing the rest of your morning ritual). This is to decrease bruising at the sclerotherapy sites.
- Please continue to take 5 pellets of Arnica™, 3 times per day for 11 days after the procedure to reduce pain, swelling and bruising. Allow the pellets to dissolve in your mouth. To prevent pigmentation follow this skin care protocol, 72 hours after the sclerotherapy treatment for six weeks. Apply Creamy Cleanser for sensitive skin twice per day to site of varicose veins and rinse off. Apply Complex Cu3 Intensive Tissue Repair Crème 3-5 times per day, to treated areas. If itchy then apply greater than five times per day. If any irritation occurs discontinue use and call office.
- You can resume normal daily activities excluding exercise today. You can resume exercising in 2 days. You can shower in the morning but no hot baths, hot tub, sauna for 2 weeks.
- Bruising, local swelling and some tenderness are normal after treatment, but please feel free to call the office if you have any questions.
- Apply Elta Daily (SPF 40, UVA/UVB protection) to sites of sclerotherapy for 6 weeks following procedure if there is any sun exposure. It is recommended to keep the treated area out of the sun for atleast two weeks.
- If there is swelling, apply gel pack to the affected area for 10 minutes twice daily.
- You will not notice an immediate improvement. Clearance usually occurs over 2-6 weeks and in some cases may take up to 12 weeks.
Frequently Asked Questions (Post-Procedure, Sclerotherapy)
Q What is the product you use for my treatment?
Sotadecrol in a foam solution is used. This solution has been in use now for more than 32 years.
Q Will I feel any discomfort after my sclerotherapy treatment?
For up to 4 weeks after your treatment, you will likely experience tenderness in the area of the treatment, with hard lumps in the same area. These are normal, and they indicate healing.
Disclamer: Free consultation only applies to Canadian residents with valid health insurance (eg OHIP) / VEINSonline.COM / Privacy Notice