EVA Post-Procedure Instructions
- Keep support hose and Comprilan bandage on for the first 72 hours continuously. After the first 72 hours please wear the stockings from first thing in the morning (after a short 10 minute shower), until bedtime at night for another ten days. If bleeding occurs from the puncture site, apply pressure for five minutes. Remove the gauze dressing/bandages on your leg 72 hours following the procedure.
- You can go back to work the following day. You can resume daily activities the same day of the procedure (excluding exercise). You can resume exercising the following day (no lifting weights, sit-ups or pushups for 2 weeks after the procedure). It is mandatory to walk atleast 10 minutes every hour for the first 6 hours after the procedure. We strongly encourage walking at least 30 minutes per day from the day after the procedure for two weeks. You can shower immediately after the procedure (if you wear a leg bag) but no hot baths, hot tub, Jacuzzi, sauna or tanning for 6 weeks after the procedure.
- Bruising, localized swelling, some tenderness, tightness and pain are normal along the inner thigh or behind the calf after treatment. Bruising may occur the same or following day. In most cases it will be gone after 2 weeks but could remain longer. You may develop “lumpy” areas in your groin which are tender and part of the normal healing process. Apply a gel pack (part of EVA kit) three times daily and Arnica Gel™ twice per day from day 3 to 5 after the procedure to reduce the bruising. From day 5 to 14 after the procedure, please apply warm compresses to the bruised and lumpy areas. Redness, tenderness and swelling around the point of entry may remain longer than 2 weeks. If you have pain and leg swelling involving the entire leg or calf, please call our office immediately.
- To Decrease Pain, Bruising & Persistent Discolouration/Pigmentation
- Please continue to take 5 pellets of Arnica™, 3 times per day and one 500mg Bromelain tablet twice per day for 14 days after the procedure in order to reduce pain, swelling and bruising. Also, drink atleast 2 liters of water per day to decrease discolouration/pigmentation at the sites of treatment.
- Elevate your leg on a couch or chair and please apply a cold gel pack for 10 minutes at a time three times daily to the bruised and painful areas from day 3 to day 5 after the procedure. Then apply a warm gelpack to the bruised/painful or lumpy areas from day 5 to 14 after the procedure. After each application of the gel pack or warm compress, apply Arnica Gel™ to the bruised areas. Apply Hiruval cream three times daily to discoloured areas from day 3 after the procedure for atleast 6 weeks or until discolouration/brownish pigmentation disappears.
- Please purchase generic Ibuprofen tablets (not Advil™) and take 600 mg three times daily orally for seven days after the procedure date. Ibuprofen may be purchased at any pharmacy.
- It is essential to try to avoid sun exposure after the procedure. It is mandatory to apply a strong medical grade sunblock SPF 40 to 50 (available here) at sites of bruising or discolouration if there is any sun exposure.
Endovenous laser ablation (EVLA) is also known as endovenous laser treatment (EVLT). The two terms are interchangeable and refer to the same treatment.
Disclamer: Free consultation only applies to Canadian residents with valid health insurance (eg OHIP) / VEINSonline.COM / Privacy Notice